Information for Android
- How do I borrow e-books?
- How do I read e-books on my Android device?
- What is an Adobe ID?
- Can I transfer e-books from my computer?
- I got an error message, why did this happen?
- How do I remove books from Aldiko?
How do I borrow e-books?
See the instructions for how the borrowing process works here. The books you have borrowed will be accessible from "My pages".Back
How do I read e-books on my Android device?
E-books can be read directly online in your web browser, or downloaded to your Android device using the Aldiko app.Reading online
To read a book that you have borrowed in the Online reaeder, go to "My pages", find the book you want to read and click on "Read".
Note that you must be connected to the internet to be able to read online.
All books are not available in this format; you can always see if a book is available for online reading by checking if it says "This book can be read online" under the "Borrow" button.
Instructions for reading in the online reader:
- Scrolling: Touch the right edge of the screen to scroll forwards, and the left edge to scroll backwards. You can also scroll further by dragging the bar at the bottom of the page.
- Menu: Touch the middle of the text to get a menu that lets you search the text, see your saved bookmarks, change text settings and see more information about the book.
- Bookmarks: To add a bookmark to the text, mark a word in the section you want to bookmark. Click on "Save as a bookmark" and input a name for your bookmark. Your bookmarks and notes will be saved as long as your loan is still active.Download
To download e-books to your Android device you first need to download software that can handle e-books. Any software that can handle the EPUB format and Adobe DRM should work.Back
What is an Adobe ID?
When you install an application to read e-books you will be asked to create an Adobe ID, which you can do here. This is a free and simple process that enables you to read your copy protected e-book on up to six different devices by using the same Adobe ID on all devices. Read more about this on the Adobe web page here.
After registering an Adobe-ID you can use it to authorize Aldiko by clicking the Menu button, then "About", then "Adobe DRM" and inputting your Adobe ID (the email address you used on Adobe) and the password.Back
Can I transfer e-books from my computer?
Sure. You need to have Aldiko installed on your Android device, then follow these instructions:
1. Install Adobe Digital Editions on your computer by following the instructions here. Authorize the application with the same Adobe ID that you used in Aldiko and then download the book.
2. Connect your Android device to your computer with an USB cable and make sure that it's mounted for File Transfers, so that you can see it as an USB device and explore it. It might be called File Transfer Mode or Mass Transfer Mode on some devices. You can find instructions for some devices here, or check the manual for your device.
3. Find the folder "My Digital Editions" on your computer (it should be under "Documents". Copy the book file (called either [book title].epub or [book title].pdf) to a folder on your Android device.
4. Open Aldiko, go to "Files" via the menu in the top left and navigate to the folder where you saved the book file. Click on it an choose "Import".
5. The book should now open in Aldiko.Back
I got an error message, why did this happen?
Content not supported
Try importing the file directly from Aldiko using the following instructions:
i) Start Aldiko
ii) Go to the "Files" tab via the menu, and then to "Download"
iii) Select the download link (URLlink.acsm) and choose "Import"
Device not authorized
This occurs because you haven't authorized Aldiko with an Adobe ID. You can fix this by following the instructions here.
If you get any other error message - don't hesitate to contact the support and they will help you.Back
How do I remove books from Aldiko?
Go to the book list and touch and hold on the book title until a menu shows up on the top of the screen. Click "..." in the corner and choose "Remove".
Note that you cannot return borrowed books using this method, the loan period is always exactly 28 days.Back
How do I borrow audiobooks?
Read this instruction the borrowing process of books. You can access your borrowed books in "My pages".Back
How do I borrow audiobooks on my Android device?
1. Download the Axiell Media app Biblio in Google Play here
2. Log in with your regular library card number and PIN-code
3. Search and borrow books. You will find all your loans under My loans where you can listen, pause and make bookmarks. The player remembers how far you came last time in the respective book and continues from that point in time of the book.Back
Does it cost anything to listen to audiobooks on my mobile device?
There are no additional costs from the library, but your provider's standard rates for mobile data traffic will apply.Back
Why do I need an app to listen to audiobooks in Android?
Android is built around idea that most things should be done via various apps, and to get a user experience that is as good as possible on every kind of Android Device, an app the easiest way.Back
Does the app save any information about me as a user?
No, the only information stored is the bookmark information, so you for instance can continue listening in the same position as the last time you left offBack